show has a big obnoxious burst of heteronormativity
fandom blames the existence of the female characters and exclusively the existence of female characters
go fuck yourselves
#if you watch season one of young justice and somehow don’t perceive that that shit was RULED by artemis and m’gann #their hopes their fears their secrets their ARCS #with bonus zatanna even coming in at a late date getting her own fucking arc#about family and heroism and sacrifice and dealing with the fallout #don’t perceive how they each have hella more development than half of the male cast combined (LOOKING AT YOU WALLY AND ROBIN) #then you need to rewatch #and get your shit together #the heterosexuality parade sucked #yes it did #but it’s not the fault of the female characters existing #and there wouldn’t be a fucking show without them #i want some queer characters sfm #and the lack of them HURTS ME #but that doesn’t mean that the female characters on yj are not fucking amazing #because THEY ARE #and the narrative actually treats them thusly #so i say again #go fuck yourselves
SO MUCH YES TO ALL OF THIS!!!
Like, holy shit, the fact is (heteronormativity aside) YJ treats its female characters so well. And this is a show that, for the majority first two episodes was nothing but ALL DUDES CENTRAL. And then it turned this show where M’gann, a cheerful, peppy girl who bakes and is super feminine, into the fucking powerhouse of the team. And then they added Artemis and her struggles and her relationship with her mother and her sister and trying to break away from her father’s shadow and being who she is despite her family’s legacy. And then of course Zatanna, with her storyline, and dang y’all. Yes, Rocket came in late, but we’ve seen glimpses of her throughout the series, and hello! Did you not hear? She’s the one who convinced Icon to become a superhero. And how he is a member of the Justice League. Yes, that’s badass. Sure, we haven’t learned a ton about her yet, but y’all are acting like season 2 is MONTHS AND MONTHS ON THE HORIZON.
Spoiler alert: IT STARTS NEXT WEEK.
So basically, let me break it down: THESE LADIES ARE BADASS. They have stories. They are meaningful to the story. They are meaningful to the team and contribute in fucking kickass ways.
And yes. Okay. I AGREE, the heterosexuality overloud is straight up irritating. Scratch that: INFURIATING. But fictional women are not the ones to blame for it. As I mentioned before, this show started out with a team of ALL DUDES. It has taken the entire season to reach parity — and that’s if you don’t count in Red Arrow’s brief stint on the team. (Also totally ignoring the fact that everyone on the team is presented as cis, which lol “parity”.)
You want someone to criticize? Criticize the TV execs and writers who act like no one will watch if they don’t start with a dudefest, who act like women have to be snuck into the spotlight after viewers are already committed to make a show profitable, who think that straight characters are the only ones suitable for children, and so on and so forth.
But if you wanna trash the female characters and act like they are only there to be arm decoration for your precious dudes?
NEWSFLASH: THIS IS 100% CONTRARY TO FACT & YOU’RE WRONG.
just tossing this out there, yj fandom, but
a) raquel ervin is actually canonically from the ghetto
b) though it wouldn’t matter if she was she’s not even remotely speaking actual aave
c) she just has a noticeable twang
d) so what you actually mean is that she sounds black
and don’t let this one fuck you up but
e) there is literally nothing wrong with any of that
Okay as far as I’ve understood this roundhouse kick at Wally is about him flirting all the time? since the Legend of Korras dude Bolin also flirts, but in a gentleman way? Right?
[cut has some gifs]
i’m really tired and angry so a lot of this may come off less coherent and more rude than i would like and for this i apologise
but heres the dealio
arguments like this fail to take into account:
- age is not an excuse
- “it’s normal” is not an excuse
- neither is “everyone does it”
- it’s “normal” for people to use “retarded” and “gay” as pejoratives but that doesn’t make it okay
- it’s “normal” for hollywood to whitewash things when they get film adaptations but that doesn’t make it okay
- wally has obviously been conditioned (like most other cis males his age) to think that behaving like he does around women is okay but that doesn’t mean it’s okay
- also i think there may have been a slight breakdown in communication here so let me make this quite apparent:
- this is not all about wally
- i like wally
- yes, he has flaws and behaves like a jerk sometimes
- but he is a fictional character and in fact the person he is harassing is a telekinetic telepathic shape-shifting martian superhero who could reduce him to a smear with very little effort
- HE IS NOT A THREAT TO HER
- HE NEVER WAS A THREAT TO HER
- unless he becomes evil and tries to set her on fire he will never be a threat to her!
- the fact that he did this to m’gann in complete innocence clearly demonstrates that he would do it to another girl in similarly complete innocence
- he’s not trying to be an asshole
- he’s not trying to threaten or intimidate her
- he does mean well
- but if he flirts aggressively and sexually with some random civilian and refuses to back off because she didn’t say no
- (because maybe saying no is hard sometimes when you’ve been taught all your life to just deal with it and it’s a compliment
- because maybe she’s heard horror stories about guys behaving even worse when you reject them outright
- because maybe a hundred million reasons that aren’t necessarily “she isn’t bothered by it”)
- THAT IS DEFINITELY A PROBLEM
- HOW ‘WELL’ HE MEANS WILL NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT THE GIRL IS GOING TO FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE
- HOW YOUNG HE IS WILL NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT THE GIRL IS GOING TO FEEL THREATENED
- he isn’t dropping creepy lines and constantly flirting with m’gann because he’s an asshole or because he knows she won’t have a problem with it
- he is doing all that shit because he genuinely thinks that this is a good life choice
- for fuck’s sake
- wally’s inability to deal with women respectfully is indeed realistic and it’s a good character flaw which IS addressed in-show and he’s never rewarded for his ridiculous behaviour AND I AM REALLY QUITE HAPPY ABOUT ALL OF THIS
- but when people defend his actions with a fiery passion
- and argue it forward and backward and always try to arrive at “it doesn’t matter because he has good intents”
- that is when i lose it
- because these exact same arguments are used to excuse sexual harassment in real life
- it’s when the BOYS WILL BE BOYS argument evolves from “he’ll be a creepy ass to you at 16” right up to “he won’t take no for an answer at 22”
- it’s when “if you really don’t like it you should say no more emphatically”
- it’s when street harassment is written off as just a form of flattery
- it’s called rape culture
- it all
- THIS ISN’T ALL ABOUT WALLY
- THIS IS PART OF A BIGGER ISSUE
- HOLY CRAP
AAAALL OF WHAT PHEONEE JUST SAID, SERIOUSLY, THANK YOU.
Can you imagine Korra losing her bending in an equalist fight and then saying:
“I feel naked, and not in the fun way!”
DID YOU KNOW:
More than one woman* can exist in the same space at one time? I know! I was extremely shocked when I met another woman and neither one of us exploded or disappeared on the spot. But oh, gosh, there’s more: I’ve heard upwards of billions of women can exist on an entire planet. My God! And here I thought we had a quota. I guess we exceeded that a while ago.
*or, you know, anyone who isn’t a heterosexual cis gender white dude
Yes, M’gann is almost def. a White Martian.
NO, THIS DOES NOT “MAKE HER” THE MOLE.
- She was so upset at her friend’s death she SUBCONSCIOUSLY- SUBCONSCIOUSLY- REWROTE REALITY. She automatically did so. This is not a person pretending to be friends with people. If she was, she’d have kept it together fine.
- When the fuck did the Light get to her? Seriously. She’s new to Earth.
- What motivation does she have? And if she’s unknowing- again, when did they kidnap her?
- The White Martians seem to be a persecuted minority rather than always chaotic evil villains in this verse. Is there any reason to think there’s actually anything BAD about her being a White Martian?
- Seriously, Superboy was CALM and AT PEACE when his friends died, yet nobody seems willing to say- ‘he was made by the Light, they had access to him, and he feels like his purpose is fulfilled after they die. Also his programming to replace Superman might still be active, so maybe he’s under someone’s control and an unwilling mole’? But we can say ‘SHE’S A DIFFERENT TYPE OF MARTIAN! SHE MUST BE A WILLING MOLE!!!’?
YJ fandom doesn’t understand……. how to…. anything.
SORRY IT’S JUST SO RIDICULOUS I CANNOT EVEN
YJ fandom I will never understand you.
the more i see of this fandom the less I like it
this is a m’gann m’orzz appreciation blog megan lovers welcome
megan haters welcome to leave
haters lack cool telepathic powers and a hot boyfriend who trips over bleachers
haters know where the unfollow button is
yeah if you don’t like mgann UNFOLLOW’S TO YOUR RIGHT. 8D
look i just have a lot of feelings about m’gann okay
I love M’gann M’orzz.
FOR GREAT JUSTICE