trigger warning for eating disorders and all sorts of talk about them
if a friend tells you that they have an eating disorder or a history of it, i understand that it’s natural to freak out a little bit. but sometimes you guys who’ve never personally dealt with an eating disorder say some really stupid things to us. so here’s a list of things not to say!
- don’t tell me that i am beautiful the way i am. ive probably had this ED for some time before telling you and you telling me that im beautiful right now in this very moment as i struggle with my ED is telling me that my ED is the reason why im beautiful and it makes me want to continue it more
- don’t offer me food????? i feel like this goes without saying but some people think its a good idea to shove food at me. like come on, do you want me to have a panic attack and cry. show some sensitivity.
- don’t ask me weird questions about how i fast/purge/etc. don’t be that person.
- don’t ask how much i weigh
- don’t tell me im not skinny enough for my ED to be legitimate or dangerous to my health because this is total bullshit tbh
- don’t talk about my weight, full stop
- don’t threaten to tell my parents/friends/etc
- “just eat!!!”
- don’t tell me that what im doing to myself is horrible and disgusting. i already know that.
- don’t tell me that my ED might kill me. i also already know that.
- don’t try to teach me how to lose weight in a “healthy” way. that is fifty shades of not helpful at all.
- don’t sit there and speculate right in front of me as to why i have an ED. and dont ask. i’ll tell you when i want to.
- don’t talk about things i dont want to hear about. if i ask you to do something (like tagging all food related posts for example) so that im not triggered, do me a favor and don’t badger me about why im triggered by it. sometimes i have weird triggers that i don’t want to talk about. do me a favor and help me out a bit.
- don’t attack me for my eating habits. this bears repeating because it’s super important and somehow people think that it’s helpful or caring to do this. newsflash, it is the opposite of that so don’t do it!!!!!
bitches with eating disorders that are getting real tired of your shit xoxo